Frequently Asked Questions
In this section, you will find frequently asked questions related to all programs. For specific programs, please navigate on side menu.
When did Touro College become Touro University?
- In February of 2022, Touro College in New York State was granted university status by the New York State Board of Regents. We are proud of this advanced academic status, and we are now Touro University.
Is a master’s degree necessary?
- We strongly believe that you will benefit from earning a master’s degree;
You will receive a real-world education from our curricula and our professors, most of whom are actively working in the technology industry as they teach you.
You will have many more employment opportunities, you will command a higher salary, and you will be able to advance in your career.
A master's degree in technology can mean an extra few hundred thousand dollars in salary over the course of your career.
A master’s degree will also allow you to teach and become a professor in a graduate school.
A master's degree in technology can give you the edge in getting a promotion or a salary increase.
The advantage of earning a master's degree may not be evident, but later in your career,when a master's degree will give you an advantage, you may find that you do not have the time to earn a master's degree.
Read this blog on why a master’s degree pays off.
Do you offer any scholarship or graduate assistant positions for international students?
- Yes, at the undergraduate level, there is a nice scholarship program for international students whereby all international students get a 15% scholarship for their first two years, and a 30% scholarship for their last two years. For our graduate students, a select number of international graduate students qualify for an on-campus graduate assistant position. In fact, The Graduate School of Technology uses almost all its scholarship program to pay the graduate assistants who work 20 hours a week.
What is something that would you like for a potential student to know about your college?
- Touro GST might be a small school you haven’t heard of, with just over 200 students, but it proudly boasts having fantastic professors, most of whom work in industry. GST also has a very good student to professor ratio (usually around 12:1) so that our professors take an active role and a sincere interest in the GST students. Furthermore, Touro GST is one of the few nonprofit affordable schools that has the same tuition for both domestic and international students, Finally, students and alumni will tell you that when you join Touro GST, you are joining a family that cares and helps you throughout your academic and career journey.
Is the Touro GST master's program classified as a STEM program so that an international student can get 3 years of OPT upon graduating?
- Yes, Touro GST’s program is classified as a STEM program. Upon graduating, an international student can apply for 1 year of OPT, and towards the end of the year can apply for the two-year STEM extension
What is the time frame for earning this degree?
- Eleven (11) courses, comprising thirty-three (33) credits, are required for the completion of this master’s degree.
Most students complete the program within two years, but it can be completed in less time if a student takes four classes in two or three semesters.
Fall and Spring courses generally meet in the evenings, once a week for three hours, while the limited Summer schedule of courses meet on a more intensive schedule.
How many credits can I transfer from another similar graduate program?
- Students can transfer two courses or up to six credits from another similar graduate program.
Are the Touro GST programs available online or in person?
- All GST classes are offered online in a synchronous mode. Domestic students either attend class in person or attend online at the precise time that the class meets. The US Federal regulations require international students to attend classes in person on campus.
All classes are live streamed on weekday (Monday –Thursday) evenings so that online students can interact fully with the professor and other students
All classes are recorded, archived, and made available to all students
Are GREs or prerequisite courses required?
- Taking the GRE exam is not a requirement for admittance into any Touro GST program.
Pre-requisites may be required for those without a technology or digital design background (consult with your program director).
Do you accept career changers?
- Yes, we do accept career changers holding a bachelor’s degree (1 to 3 pre-requisite courses that we provide may be required).
Do you provide job placements after graduation?
- Touro GST offers career services assistance in the writing of resumes and cover letters, and mock interviews (practice). We assist in finding positions and provide information about job opportunities, but we cannot promise any job.
Can I work on campus?
- Yes, you can work on campus if there is an appropriate position.
What English proficiency tests and scores are accepted for international students?
- English proficiency:
TOEFL (IBT) – minimum score of 78
IELTS – minimum score of 6.0
PTE – minimum score of 58
or proof the undergraduate studies medium was in English.
Duolingo is accepted.
What are the class sizes?
- The average class size is 10-12 students. Some class sizes are smaller (6), and some are larger (20).
What should I write in my graduate school application essay?
- Write an essay of at least one page. Talk about your background, your skills, and/or your career goals and why you would like to join the program.
Who should write my letters of recommendation (LOR)?
- Your letters of recommendation can be from academic sources, such as a professor, a school counselor, or an advisor. It can also be written by a professional source, such as a direct manager or a volunteer opportunity supervisor.
How do I get a recommender to write a letter of recommendation (LOR)?
- You should make a formal request by email or make an appointment to meet the person. Then ask the person if he or she could write an LOR on your behalf. Explain the purpose of the LOR and why you have chosen that person as your recommender. Finally, give the person enough time to consider your request for an LOR and then to write it.
How do I submit a letter of recommendation (LOR)?
- Email your LOR as an attachment to your program director or, when you submit your application, the link will be generated if you check the appropriate box in your application when you provide the names and emails of the recommenders.
Should I wait until after COVID to get my degree?
- That is a question that you would need to answer for yourself depending on your situation and on your health status. The Touro College campuses follow strict COVID safety guidelines, requiring a social distancing. We no longer require masking (if vaccinated, and the daily screening has stopped.)
What are the housing options available on and off campus?
- We work with studenthousing.org. They provide a dormitory in Brooklyn for international students. To save you some money, we usually set up our students, upon their arrival, for their first 30 days, at the Vanderbilt YMCA or the West Side YMCA. This allows you some time so that we can introduce you to other new students or to our current students, so you can find an affordable roommate share. You would probably be able to share an apartment within the five boroughs of New York City or in Northern New Jersey with easy access to New York City (such as in Jersey City or Hoboken).
How much does Touro GST charge in tuition and fees?
- Click HERE for Touro GST tuition
How do I pay my tuition?
- At the start of each semester, you can pay in full for that semester or you can enroll in a payment plan. When you are enrolled in a payment plan, your current semester tuition is divided into four equal monthly payments. There is a small fee to enroll in the payment plan.
Am I required to provide a portfolio prior to being accepted to the WMM program?
- A portfolio is not required. GST accepts students who are career changers. Obviously, if you are joining the program with a design background, you should present your portfolio so that you can be guided regarding appropriate courses.
What is the difference between the WMM program and the WAD concentration in the MSIS program?
What is the difference between the WAD concentration in the MSIS program and the WMM program?
What is the class schedule and what type of instructional delivery do you use?
- Touro GST's classes meet once a week on weekday evenings for the convenience of working professionals, and students may join any class session on campus or online. Professors and students are interacting in real time during the class session, with some students in the classroom and the rest joining online. All students can later re-watch the recording of any class session on their own time to reinforce that evening’s concepts.
F1 international students must follow the guidance of the Department of Homeland Security regarding classroom presence and can contact us for more information.
Some WMM preparatory courses are offered on Sunday mornings.